Saturday, May 14, 2016

Tico Farmers...5/14/16

     Although, I would stray far from calling myself a coffee drinker, I will say my appreciation for coffee and the people who play a part in growing coffee have increased. Today we visited Life Monteverde, a local farm here.


It's been an extremely amazing place, definitely my favorite visit by far. The farm not only strives to create sustainability within, but outside as well.  They mentioned that while they take water from the river, they want to make sure it leaves Monteverde Life cleaner than it came in. They also use various sources of energy to help the farm function. For example, they have two pigs that produce Methane Gas used to power their kitchen for 3-4 hours via a biodigester.


Using Lily Water plants to filter 
stream water

What made the farm even greater though, were the people that worked there. Most of the farmers come from Nicaragua to seek better opportunities.  At Life Monteverde, the farmers make a $1.75 per basket of coffee they pick compared to an hourly average minimum wage rate of $1.82 in Costa Rica ( http://costarica.com/business/salary/ ). Rates that are much better when compared to that of Nicaragua. Personally, I still think these rates are low. I would advise the farmer to never settle for less than he/she believes he/she deserves. Don't be tricked when the situation looks better. It is still important to advocate for your own rights and desires. 
     Despite my beliefs, the farmers seem happy with their wages. One of the farmers talked about how being in Costa Rica is helping him grow his own passions and brand, he talked about having a farm of his own in Nicaragua and being able to take what he has learned and apply it over there. 
     The average farmer picks 8-9 baskets a day, however some of the farmers at Life Monteverde can pick upwards of 10-12 baskets a day. One thing that can be a strain is the fact that they only get to see their families 4 to 5 times a year, but at the end of the day everything they do is for their families. 


     Monteverde has been good to me! I bid you adieu, thanks for teaching me a lifetime of history.

1 comment:

  1. I believe that the wage rates are low as well and that Ticos should advocate for higher wages and what they believe in. It's great that many of the Nicaraguan farmers feel that they are earning more and able to support more of their day to day lives. I also like that they hope to apply it to their everyday lives.

    ReplyDelete